View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-02, 12:13

I didn't know such a thing was possible. But, really, in tech...what isn't?

The prices are steep, but, for my entire iDevice-using life (30-pin iPods and iPhones, Lightning iPhones and iPads), I've only ever bought Apple cables from an authorized reseller (Best Buy, Walmart, AT&T store, etc. if not an actual Apple Store). I know there are other good, trusted and legit brands - Belkin, etc. (and I have gone with those on a couple of occasions) - but I'd just prefer to go straight to the mothership for such things.

I've only ever really bought spare Lightning-to-USB cables (and one replacement 30-pin iPhone charger cable a decade ago), but I've never had a problem and I never worry.

You read those stories about the cheap, poorly-made knock-offs that burn entire houses/apartment complexes down. No thanks. I can be the cheapest person in seven counties, but even I don't feel right about some $1.99 no-name "Lightning" cable from eBay. And I've encouraged all those I know to, at the very least, stick with a legit, known name on this stuff, in original packaging, etc. Isn't worth it, IMO, the "savings" of going cheap on some things when the risk is a lost house, electrocution, destroyed gear, etc. I'll gladly drop $19 on an Apple Lightning-to-USB cable to never think about it again. $19 buys my peace of mind.

So aside from all that, now you gotta worry about this sort of stuff...chips in shady Lightning cables recording your keystrokes and passwords? Even more reason...stick with the proper stuff. Anyone buying excessively cheap, no-name cables from God-knows-where off of eBay...you're rolling the dice. I know plenty do it, and have done so for years.

But you're what's called "the exception that proves the rule". You've just been lucky.

PS - There's "cheap", and then there's "cheap". I realize there are quality third-party cables/accessories, from companies I've probably never heard of. Nobody needs to feel obligated to post them all here (unless you want to, for a public service). I get it. I'm just saying what works for me. And, at 52, I'm not going to just up and change; that period seems to be well behind me. I can swing the once-every-few-years $19 and still eat dinner.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-02 at 12:25.