View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-05-29, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Hulu also just released Shoresy, the long-planned Letterkenny spinoff.

give yer balls a tug
Holy shit this was good.

If you haven't seen it, Letterkenny is a Canadian sitcom showcasing the exceptionally vulgar "problems" of the titular town's hicks, skids, hockey players, natives and Christians. Mile-a-minute quips and insults with Frasier levels of intelligence. Shoresy was a recurring character played by the same actor as the main character (Jared Keeso) but we never saw his face. We mostly saw him ruthlessly insulting the other hockey players.

He was written him out of the show and moved to northern Ontario to set up a spinoff. I went in cold—I knew who the main character would be, and figured the humor would be similar, but that was. Mostly expected a more hockey-ish clone of Letterkenny.

Hoo boy I was wrong.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Instead of a Seinfeldian show-about-nothing, we get a classic underdog sports tale, shot in cinemascope. The show is really a film. A miniseries, I suppose.

It's easy to compare it to Ted Lasso but that's not quite right. Beautifully choreographed fight scenes on ice, rapid-fire dialog and running jokes about getting hand jobs in lakes

Honestly, well done to the creators behind this. Rare to find a spinoff that isn't just a cheap attempt to stamp out a knock-off.