Thread: Heat Wave 2022
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-13, 07:34

I'm not in the U.S. Southwest, but we are experiencing temps in Southeastern Tennessee (and I'm sure drew is as well, just 90-120 minutes down the road from me) that we typically don't see until well into July/August...mid/upper-90's, with obnoxious humidity and triple-digit heat indexes (indices?). True "summer" weather. We've not eased into it this year, it's like someone just threw a switch. Our spring wasn't as crisp and pleasant as usual. Naturally I was out in it for a couple of weeks, painting about 40 million square feet of fence and decking. But I finished that some while back, so that's good.

Seems to be hovering over the lower part of the country. My friends in KC are having the same numbers, warnings, etc. And my friend in Gilbert, AZ, just outside Phoenix, sent me two pics within the past four days, her car digital thermometer showing the outside temps at 112 and 115. Granted, she's in the desert and all ("move, goofball...nobody's making you live in a desert!" ) but even she said that's a bit early for such nonsense.

I can take one - heat or humidity - but when it's both (and higher than they should be for mid-June)...ugh.

And it's dangerous. I have to mow a yard this week (Mom's), but I'm tweaking my schedule/work frame a bit and I'll be going over right about this time (8:30am) Thursday morning, so I'm completely done by 10:30. I'll be miserable and sweaty, but that's just par for the course...I won't die or heat-stroke out or anything. It'll be relatively "cool", possibly even cloudy, the way her yard/trees are situated, I'll be mostly in shade at those early hours if it's not cloudy. I ain't doing anything outside in the afternoons, not this week.

Those of you in it, you know the drill...shade/AC, lots of water, avoid strenuous outdoor activity in the noon/afternoon hours, look in on those who may have an extra tough time (the elderly, those without AC, etc.). Make sure they're okay, and do what you need to make them so, until this thing lifts/passes.

And, just speaking to everyone in general, for the love of all that is holy and righteous: DO NOT be leaving your kids and/or pets in the damn car at times like this. No, not even "for just a minute or so". Every year, there's a cluster of ignorant low-renters and grade-A oblivitards who somehow never seem to get the memo - or see the PSAs, read the tragic stories in the news, etc. - and will do this. There is no excuse at this point. Everyone is well aware of how hot a parked, turned-off car gets in this kind of weather, and how quickly it can do so. Any morons leaving their poor dogs in such a scenario while they "dart in" to get a few groceries (and always some cigarettes, this bunch) need to have their worthless, clue-starved asses kicked up and down the Safeway sidewalk.

Absolutely no excuse. Leave your dog at home if you need to run errands; this isn't the week to be driving them around and leaving them sitting in the parking lot as you shop, do some banking, pick up dry-cleaning, buy meth or whatever the hell it is you plan on doing. As with so many other things, in 2022 nobody can claim they didn't know not to do this. The word has been out for a good long while, decades even. The "ignorance" card has been completely played out on this...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-13 at 07:59.