Thread: Heat Wave 2022
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-14, 10:18

I don't know. I'm just on a two-week cycle and it absolutely needs it, for sure. We had some rain last week, so it all sprouted up real good since my previous mow...long grass and those white clover and dandelions all over the place. I don't have the blade down to its lowest setting, so I'm not scalping it. I'm pretty sure, after Thursday morning, it will go a full two full weeks without any excessive growth (heat and no rain). I'll see how things look at the end of June. If this heat goes away and we get some rain, then I'll be looking at a June 30 (I like to do it on Thursdays).

But it needs it now and is just this side of looking a little ratty, which I don't like. Makes her whole house/property look less than. Plus, if I let it go too long/get too high, I run the risk of encountering critters I don't want to (the long, slithering type). Indiana Jones ain't got nothin' on me in that department...

If it still looked low/good, and not in need of cutting, I'd certainly let it go this week (believe me, I'm dreading the shit out of Thursday ). But its last mow was June 1 and it has grown quite a bit since then. Typically, I'm on an every-two-weeks thing during March-June (rain, sunshine and it truly needs it). Then it usually slows down in July-August, with less rain and things sometimes getting a little brown and crunchy and it may not actually need it at the two-week mark. I'll play it by ear and only mow when needed. There have been years where I've only mowed once each in July and August. And then it seems to kick back up against in September and October (and I usually finish out the season by the second week of November).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-14 at 10:28.