View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-24, 19:56

I'm looking for a camera I can mount outside and not have to worry about the camera staying powered. It needs to be wifi but most one of the most critical aspects is that it needs to be able to have a snapshot pulled from a web URL. Like this:
Code:
http://192.168.1.222/snap.jpeg
The idea is that I can wget the image with my time lapse script and make cool videos from that.

I need it to be solar powered so I'm not having to deal with batteries and such, plus where I'm going to put the camera I can't actually run wiring for practical reasons. So the camera can either be solar powered by itself or use a separate solar panel that puts out 5VDC at 1-2A. Those can be found on Amazon for about $30 if needed.

So really I'm looking for a few things:
  • Solar powered or USB with low amperage requirement
  • Anonymous Snapshot support via URL
  • Weatherproof
  • Good night vision is a major plus
  • No third party app requirement, needs to be truly standalone

As a proof of concept I was able to get a Raspberry Pi Zero W working at this remote location with a camera module. A major drawback there is that I would have to add in a waterproof case of some kind for that and nothing seems to exist that I can find. I also got a G3 Instant there and it worked really well too, but it isn't weatherproof in any way.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.