View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-20, 11:41

That's a toughie. You can get a good, fast video-equipped 3Gs for practically nothing and only be "stuck with it" for 18 months.

As much as I love my new iPhone 4, maybe the 3Gs makes better sense at the moment?

18 months from now puts you right into May 2012, when a new iPhone 6 would be right around the corner!

You mention pics, though, and I have to say that I've not touched a real digital camera once since owning this iPhone 4. Having such a decent camera with me, everywhere I go, is way nicer than remembering to tote a separate camera around. I've taken some really nice, clear, saturated shots with mine. The HDR, in certain situations, makes quite a difference.

Disclosure: I received my 4 as a gift, so it's too easy for me to say "spend the extra £130 and get it!". I'm trying to be practical and realistic, and viewing it from your specific position. £10 vs. £130 is quite a leap.

I don't know how the 3Gs compares to the 4 in the following two ways, but compared to what I was used to, the difference is quite dramatic:

- WiFi reception...I'm pulling signals from places I never did before. And places where I could - but not in a solid, strong way - I now can. As I'm now on that 200MB/month cap, this means a lot to me!

- Battery life/performance. I'm back to only having to "top off" my iPhone every other day or so. This thing just goes and goes. I know batteries degrade over time and that 2-3 years from now, this phone won't be the same. But it's much better than my original iPhone in the first months of owning it, no doubt.

Since the antenna and battery on the iPhone 4 are different than those on the 3Gs, I have to assume it would be the same type of experience/improvement for you.

As for the Retina Display, it's the thing I notice/appreciate least. Maybe some smaller type appears crisp and more legible at a few sites, but that's about all I've noticed. I don't turn it on every day and marvel at how "amazing and different" it looks.

Having said that, if I went back to an older iPhone, I'd probably notice, having spent three-plus weeks looking at this.