View Single Post
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-06-27, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley
When a script is requested that is when it is run. That is great for getting something up and working quickly, but is very archaic compared to the other web app frameworks. Having the app constantly running on the server means that you can easily maintain state on the server between pages, requests, and even different client sessions. With PHP you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to maintain state between scripts, and client requests. I believe they use cookies that bounce back and forth between the client and server to maintain a session.
That's the way HTTP was designed—It wasn't meant to be an interactive application, it was meant to be a get/send transaction-based protocol.

There is a difference, however, in your comparison. You're comparing a language with a framework. That isn't fair. PHP itself doesn't have near the ease-of-use that a framework (There are numerous of PHP frameworks: Zend, Cake, Symphony, Trax...) will have. To further this point, would you attempt to write a Web Application in raw Java? [Although, I'm not sure if that's a valid comparison, as I don't know Java]

As for the questions that began this thread:

1. Ghoti made this point very clearly.
2. Medium to big projects? Perhaps phpBB? vB? WordPress? IPB?
3. The typical reasons for not using PHP involve the fact that it's simply not considered an 'enterprise' solution.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.

Last edited by rollercoaster375 : 2006-06-27 at 22:13.