View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-03-03, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
My view is that the rise of Trump reflects an internal contradiction within the Republican Party. Despite having had considerable support among parts of lower-income working voters for the past 40-50 years, the GOP has offered them little other than tax cuts for the wealthy, exporting their jobs overseas, and putting their lives at risk in foreign wars fought for questionable purposes. Trump makes noises that he will change that. While his candidacy might make the Republican establishment fearful, the establishment is no longer in control. That Trump combines his promise for change with hints of xenophobia, racism, and totalitarianism does not seem to have hurt him. I am not sure that Trump actually is personally a fascist, but I think that it is more likely that he is a salesman that is using an overlay of facism as a campaign ploy. I also doubt that he actually is in a position to deliver much, if anything, for the people who support him. I think that he would largely be an ineffectual boob as President.
On the contrary, being racist is helping him with his supporters, who are also racists. He says controversial stuff and takes the heat for them. The most common reason I've heard for people supporting Trump is that he "speaks his mind" or "tells it like it is." That he's "not politically correct." That is code for "he says racist shit that I agree with but am too embarrassed to say myself."

As for the second bolded sentence, yes, I also think he crafts his statements and positions to attract the most attention and support. Every politician does this to some extent, some more than others. Bernie Sanders seems to do it less. Hillary Clinton does it more IMO (one reason I'm not a huge fan of hers). I think Trump is the least principled candidate in the race and his acts as president would be wildly unpredictable. One of many reasons why I'm scared of him possibly becoming president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Who is the 'ineffectual boob' you'd rather have and why do you support them?
Chinney referred to Trump as that in his post.