View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2017-03-28, 13:12

And now begins the entirely predictable pivot from "deficits are destroying our future/ liberals spend all the money" to "deficits are fine if it means we can cut taxes on the wealthy." The Obamacare repeal was supposed to free up money for the big tax cut, but they'll go for it regardless. The ability of your modern Republican to scream about the soul-crushing terror of atrocities 30 seconds before rabidly endorsing the obvious necessity of what are now regarded as exciting opportunities is one of the wonders of our age. It's not hypocrisy, see, because when Republicans do things it's fundamentally different from when Democrats do things, on account of the...... oh, who am I kidding, they're not even pretending any more. It's just whatever you can get away with, barring armed revolution.

Nunes is a case in point: he's apparently going to try and just tough out his jaw-dropping bullshit and obvious partisan maneuvering by.... well, just going "Nyah nyah nyah did not" and figuring there's nothing the Dems can really do short of having him taken out by assassins. Since that's the modus operandi of the entire Trump administration, I imagine we'll get to see just how far they can push this before something snaps. I'm thinking sooner than later, as the mood of the country sours and the overt cronyism, attention deficit disorder randomness and agenda-derailing infighting become obvious (or more obvious) impediments to actually doing any of the things Trump claimed he was going to do. There's the potential for a massive blood-letting once his base starts to erode and Trump throws the wrong accomplice under the bus (if that's not already in process).

By the way, I'm really impressed by how the master manipulator Trump keeps whipsawing our attention between utter incompetence and evidence of treason. Very clever. While we're transfixed by an historically chaotic, feckless presidency, he's clear to sign vaguely worded executive orders, tweet like an aggrieved 13 year old and stage ludicrous photo ops. What a genius.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated