Thread: 2018 iPhones
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-09-15, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
I realized that by discontinuing the SE, Apple no longer sells a phone that

• Can be comfortably used with one hand
• Doesn’t have a notch
• Can sit flat on a table without a case

What’s going on over there‽
In theory, I would prefer a smaller phone. In practice, while I miss being able to swipe down Notification Center with the very thumb that's holding the device, it really doesn't bother me much. On the contrary, I appreciate more screen estate and easier typing with my fat fingers.*

I don't have an X yet, but: in theory, no notch might be nicer. In practice, complaints about it on Twitter died down fairly quickly. Seems to me that those who actually own one found that it didn't really bother them.

Lastly: the wobbling is a bit disconcerting, I guess? But while I often put my phone on the table, I don't do so to use it. It's kind of a poor form factor for that. I can imagine it being more problematic on the iPad Pro, however.

But, to get back to the SE: I believe it was Siracusa who's optimistic they'll bring back a smaller size in a year or two. I'm not so sure. Most other manufacturers don't, suggesting that the market has spoken loud and clear that they want larger sizes. I can see why.

(And if you want a really small devices for phone calls, Apple does offer that now, separately…)

*) To be clear, they did once make an ad campaign about how the thumb should be able to reach the entire screen, so…