View Single Post
JayReding

2004-11-09, 17:15

I'm a recent switcher.

The reason I switched over is because Macs *just work*. I'd been fighting with my Compaq laptop trying to get it to see my shared drive on my desktop. WinXP Home and WinXP Pro don't talk to each other very well at all.

Within 10 minutes of getting my Mac out of the box, it had already connected to the shared drive and was transferring files. It was painless.

Ditto with iTunes. I sync my iPod to my desktop, but when I want to listen to music iTunes lets me wirelessly stream from my desktop to any machine in my house, Mac or PC. It just works.

OS X is the best operating system ever written. I first used a Mac for work in 2001. By 2003 and OS X 10.3, the Mac OS had gotten appreciably faster with every upgrade. The old 400mHz Mac I used back then was as zippy as the 1.2gHz PCs we also used. I could run Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Safari, a text editor, and iTunes, and still not have the system feel like it was bogged down.

And in the unlikely event of an app crash - all I did is pop over to the Terminal, and in two easy commands I could kill the process without harming the system.

And the visuals - OS X is a very good looking OS, and that eye candy isn't graituitous. Once you try Expose, you never want to go back.

Once you try one, you'll understand...