Thread: From Mac to PC
View Single Post
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-10-04, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Re: Keeping the two machines. I have been trying that, and that's why I have a KVM switch. It was about $50 and provides almost the same function as a second keyboard, mouse, and monitor, without taking any extra space. But in the past two weeks, I've only used the Mac for occasionally transferring files over to the PC. I must not be able to divide my attention very well - not only did I prefer using a single machine for everything, I also can't use dual monitors as my attention can't be split between them. So I've pretty much ruled out a second machine. Besides, a large part of my reason for switching to the PC is due to cost. I don't think it's worth it to keep a machine worth $1000+ when all I use the machine for is web surfing, AIM, and so on. The PC can do all that stuff too. Maybe not as elegantly, but it still works. I see the same internet all of you guys do.

As for getting a game console instead of a gaming PC... well, I have also tried that. I have a GameCube that I do enjoy quite a bit, but it's gotten old. The PC gives me much better control, much higher resolution, and a constant stream of new games to try. The GameCube is kind of inundated with puzzle games, which I hate, and I've already played through most of the really good/popular ones. And it doesn't have any kind of online play, which I think is half the fun of gaming.
Question. Why would you need to split any attention? Either you are gaming or you are not. You can't do much else while gaming anyway, and if everything else is on the Mac, you only need to switch when you start or quit a game.

I like consoles, but it's obvious they do not compete with PC's. They are good for some specific types of game: arcade, sports, driving, fighting, platformers, puzzles, simpler kind of RPG's. I bought my first and only console, a PS2, almost exclusively for two specific games, though now I have gotten interested in other ones. PC's are better in simulations, FPS, strategy, hardcore RPG, online anything.