View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-02-10, 17:36

Unfortunately, Mac OS X is being driven along by iOS. Most OS X consumer Apps have been dumbed down to mimic their iOS counterparts. Basically, it must be feature-paired with the iPhone/iPad counterpart.

Where Microsoft is trying to shoehorn "the full Windows experience" into everything, Apple is trying to shove "the full iPhone experience" into everything.

Pages '09 was awesome. This new thing is, well, much less than awesome. But, hey, it has the same features as the iOS version. Yay us! iPhoto was awesome. Photos doesn't even warrant an eye roll.

Apple says they want the desktop to be true to the desktop, and the touch experience to be true to that, but the fact that they feel the need to force feature parity says something quite different. I don't think it's as much to do with the "quality" of the software. I think it has more to do with a lack of focus for the Mac platform and what it is supposed to be.

Remember, guys, the Mac is the truck! Trucks drive on the same roads, maybe they're harder to control, a bit ungainly in the corners, but they carry a damn heavy load. Apple seems determined to force the 18-wheeler's cargo into a VW Beetle's trunk, while simultaneously loading the 18-wheeler's trailer with two heads of cabbage and a turnip.

And, no, I have no idea what the hell Photos is supposed to be/do, either. I don't think anyone does.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)