View Single Post
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2019-08-12, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Was there a scenario where they could’ve made more revenues? I don’t know that that’s the case.

Would customers like that? Sure. Do they need to do it? I don’t know that. Why? Just to be like others? Do they also need to license iOS?
They basically did the opposite of buying marketshare. They have not maintained marketshare and are watching their percentage of the overall markets drop while charging more. People normally would complain about this but their financials while great did not tank due to the higher pricing.

However as the move to services shows, it isn’t just about the units, it is about the ecosystem. Apple users are more likely to use Apple Music, buy things with Apple Pay, etc. Most other companies do whatever is necessary almost to the point of giving away hardware to get people locked into the ecosystem.

Again I’m not suggesting Apple do any of these negatives. I’m not saying they should be selling a $350-550 flagship phone and chasing marketshare. I’m not saying give away hardware and make it up on services.

However when you used to make the flagship for $750 and now charge $1000+ and short term you do okay but long term now you are going to make up the shortfall on unit sales with services going to the 20-30% fewer people buying your products, that seems a sketchy proposition. Apple has done some interesting things like offering Apple Music on Android, offering the Apple TV app on certain brands of smart TV’s etc.

Apple us doing well with the Watch. The iPad line seems well thought out and covers an array of price tiers. Apple needs to do better here with the iPhone.