View Single Post
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-19, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
There are better ideas than Trump's, and you can rest assured he has a vested financial or political interest or he wouldn't be running his mouth like he is. The asshole is using a tragedy for his own gain most likely. As soon as he used the toxic "If we do ____, the terrorists win!", [you can pretty well figure] he is not being driven by any sort of altruism here. He's out for #1, as usual.
Trump has no financial play in this. In fact, he has no role at all. Perhaps he is simply a New Yorker who has grown tired of the bullshit surrounding the "Freedom Tower" and he has the money and publicity to make it known. The idea of having a design competition between a bunch of "world leading architects" chosen by politicians was ridiculous, the plan that was decided upon was ridiculous. Every public official and official from the Lower Manhattan Redevelopment group that defends the Freedom Tower by saying it was an open process is a liar. The Freedom Tower is nothing more than Bloomberg, pataki and the other officials involved wanting to be the ones responsible for a new skyline, for replacing the twin towers with something grandiose.

Quote:
Trump has about as much design sense as a wild boar. I don't believe a majority of the American people would want this "re-design". I don't really know about New Yorkers. Ultimately it's your city and our symbol but... the WTC is gone. It died that day.
Every poll I have ever seen has suggested otherwise.

Quote:
The WTC are gone; to try and bring them back is bordering on disrespect, and the fact that Trump is behind it solidifies my opinion all the more, as that guy's motives are always suspect. And I mean always.
I think building the "freedom tower" would be borderline disrespect.

Quote:
I don't care about popular opinion if it's wrong. A popular majority voted for W. A popular majority supported going into Iraq. A popular majority thinks that Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is a display of good design. The majority think wish to believe they live in the 19th century but a more convenient and hygenic one.
stick to the topic and try not to go off the deep end and turn this into an argument its not, in fact, it isnt even an argument, its a discussion

Quote:
Rebuilding the trade towers is pointless. Oh, excuse me, they're not just rebuilding because this time they go to 111! It's a joke. Laughable. Dumb. It's architectural Spinal Tap. Bigger isn't better if bigger is just more of the old ugly, pointless crap that was there before.
as opposed to the crap architecture that the freedom tower will be? Certainly seems to be uglier, and more pointless than what was there before.

Quote:
Rebuilding the towers says that 1. we really are simply preoccupied with money and material worth more than human life and it really was an appropriate target, and 2. that we can't do anything better, that that we're so ossified and recalcitrant as a people that our monuments and culture are stagnant and devoid of anything new to express beyond what we already had. Did 9/11 not make a difference to anyone? Shouldn't that be expressed? Oh, I forgot, it goes to 111!
1. any design will do that.
2. it's not that we can't do better. bigger, better, stronger. it's what people want, heck, it's the american way. maybe you don't want to think that but it's true. Two similar towers that are better designed and built stronger would do more justice to the site and disaster than anything else I have seen yet. How does the freedom tower do it justice? If anything it just promotes forgetting what happened by completing neglecting any architectural elements from the twin towers.

Quote:
It's an ignorant and disrespectful conceit.

That's my opinion, and I don't care if I'm the only person to believes that because I know I'm right.
there is no right or wrong here. I'm glad you speak for everyone though.

Quote:
Another point is that the original WTC were built and designed in another time with different aesthetic values. People back then were into the "bigger and blocky is better" thing. Look at many of the airplanes and automobiles and houses of the same generation...
and what will the freedom tower be? an ugly design from an era when people thought strange angles and midjoints and empty skeleton floors were cool?