View Single Post
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-19, 15:32

Quote:
Trump to spearhead Twin Tower effort (David Shuster)

I would hate to be New York Governor George Pataki. As I write this blog, the press release from Donald Trump is on the way. Every major political leader and news organization in New York is about to learn that Trump is planning to hold a blockbuster news conference Wednesday morning. Trump will announce he is going to spearhead a group of developers to rebuild the Twin Towers stronger, safer, and taller than they were before 9/11.

At his Wednesday morning press conference, Trump will stand next to the 9-foot tall model featured on MSNBC last week that was built by Ken Gardner of the group makeNYNYagain.com. I'm told that Trump has now inspected the detailed model, will stand next to it Wednesday morning... and will announce something along the lines of, "Here is the proposal, it's ready to go, and it's time for the greatest city in the world to put the Twin Towers back up."

Governor Pataki, who still seems to be clinging to his embattled and publicly despised Freedom Tower, now has 24 hours to make the biggest decision of his political life. He can join the Twin Tower bandwagon, turn his poll numbers around, and launch a presidential campaign based on the spirit that will be on display Wednesday morning. Or, Governor Pataki can continue to stand for what Trump calls "a 60-story building with a skeleton on top." If Pataki chooses the latter, he will see his legacy permanently exiled to the dustbin of New York political history.

FREE VIDEO

• Trump says rebuild
May 12: Real estate mogul Donald Trump wants the Twin Towers rebuilt, only higher and better. He minces no words as he speaks with MSNBC's Chris Matthews.
MSNBC

New York Senators Schumer and Clinton also face a critical decision. They may not pay an immediate price if they don't join Trump Wednesday morning. But they will soon be asked about the blueprints, the models, and the ideas about what New York should and should not stand for. And I would hate to be a 2008 presidential candidate from New York and have to explain why my position on the Twin Towers came after statements issued by John McCain or John Kerry. Likewise, I would hate to be a John McCain or John Kerry and see a rival like Hillary Rodham Clinton grab this issue first.

Leadership, of course, is about taking a position. Donald Trump has been asked before about the Twin Towers being a "target again" and a "tough rent." But he plans to talk about transforming Ground Zero from a symbol of death, as it is now, to a place that honors life and the American spirit. The White House, the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon, and buildings in New York may all be potential targets. But in America, as Trump plans to articulate, we don't let terrorists dictate our skylines, our opinions, our speech, or our future. Trump believes, as other developers do, that once the Twin Towers are built, they will both be fully occupied, despite fears of another attack. Why? It's as simple as this: Never mind the advanced technology that would make these buildings the safest in the world... If you live anywhere in this great nation of ours and are trying to decide which company to give your personal business to, are you going to choose the company based in Hoboken, New Jersey... or the company that has the office in the new World Trade Twin Towers? Not all of us will have an opportunity to rent an office on the 115th floor of one of the new Twin Towers. But every American will be with those who do.

And now, it's only a matter of time before our nation recognizes the powerful American spirit reawakening in New York... and tells any politician who tries to stand in the way, "You're fired.
MSNBC