View Single Post
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-08-19, 08:28

Hi guys and gals. I was hoping some of you might be able to help me with a few issues I'm having. I take photos for a living and have previously used finder and spotlight to manage my photos. However over the last few months i have been doing some sport photography and have hundreds of photos each week. I am looking for the best way to manage my workflow. I'll go through how I work so you can get an idea.

I'll take the photos from a sports day (usually 3-4 games). Then i'll copy them from my nikon D200 camera to a folder in the pictures folder in finder. Then once that's done i open up bridge and go through the photos and delete the ones that are out of focus, or just plain ordinary. Once that's done i note the names of the photos needing cropping (usually it's only cropping, not anything major like levels etc.) and open them in Photoshop and crop them and save them. Once that's done i open them in Graphics Convertor and save a copy as a lower quality version for a web site.

Basically i'd like to have a program that does this a bit easier than the way I'm doing it now. I use bridge to go through the photos because i can get a large view of each photo and can delete them very easy. I'd like to be able to open the photo's, delete the bad ones, crop the ones needing to be cropped and save them, all in one program if possible. Then i was hoping there was some way i could Automate opening them in Graphics Convertor and saving them for the web.

I was contemplating using Aperture (i already own a copy, but decided i didn't like it for what i needed a while ago) as that seems like it would do all of the things i need it to do. Then use Automator or something similar to get a web copy. The one thing i don't like about Aperture is the fact that the photos seem to be all stored in the Aperture Library. I like to have the photos easy to access through finder and find the Library in Aperture doesn't allow me to do this. I could be wrong about the library though.

Also if Aperture is the easiest program to effectively do what i need, what would be the best way to import all my current photos? I believe there are several different import settings and want to get it right the first time.

Sorry it's taken so long to get out, but i wanted to be fairly thorough.

Thanks