View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-20, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Specifically I think we should require strict permission from Brad to build any portals.
I don't care for the nether or "protected portal network" at all, personally, but if you guys want to use it sparingly, that's fine. Just know that introducing the nether opens a whole Pandora's box of risks and potential problems from the server management side. Running both the nether and the "normal" world, for example, effectively doubles the the realtime resource demand on the server (CPU and RAM) and makes runaway world growth easier than ever. I have no idea what the game will do when it hits the limit of the ramdisk. Will it seize up? Crash? Close gracefully? I'd bet on anything except for that last option. When that happens, how do we recover? Can we recover? Should we recover?

And these are just the obvious issues we actually know before launch. Think of the disasters weird performance issues we're having with minecart rails that nobody anticipated (or with the introduction of wolves, or reintroduction of slimes, or signs in the trap); no doubt there will be mystery problems aplenty with the nether that no one will recognize for a while and won't be fully understood even after we run a bunch of controlled tests.

I hate for you guys to make a ton of plans for nether like you did for rails and then a week later realize, whoops, you burned through a lot of time and thought and work but it doesn't work for Players A or B because of Mystery Problems X, Y, and Z.

If it was just up to me, I wouldn't even enable the nether (assuming there's an admin/mgmt option at all), but since you guys are hyped for it, on it will go.

My two slime cents.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.