View Single Post
¡Damned!

2014-09-12, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Okay. So Grey built a prototype next to mine and I like the idea. It does give a much nicer view of the Nether and is less expensive in total resources since there are less "rings" and that means less glowstone.

I took his ideas back to my server and mocked up another arm, but made a few additional changes.

1) I wrapped the rings in 100% quarts for the sake of continuity. I think it looks much nicer while still keeping the whole "mixed materials" look what with the stone walkway.

2) Rather than going with grey's suggestion to "hang" the rings every 20 blocks, I chose to hang every ring (every 10 blocks) and like the look.

3) I added a piece of quartz to the ceiling where the chains hang to give the appearance of an anchor.

4) I also prototyped a new Spawn Portal. The portal is cubed (4 portals) with a portal facing each arm. I know from trial and error in the AN map that multiple portals in close-quarters will all map to the same over world portal. Thus, all 4 of these should map to Spawn in the over-world. Also, I wrapped the entire spawn in a cube of Obsidian about 15x15x15. I really like the way it looks on both the inside and outside. It gives kind of an eerie look as you walk from this dark thing out into the well-lit arms.
Good stuff.

1) I'm not sure the extra quartz makes it all that better than it was before, but hey, I can go with it.

2) Agreed. This looks really nice.

3) Another good idea. This doesn't need to be quartz, but again, if you're splurging it's your nickel.

4) This I'm on the fence about. On the one hand it's a fun, spooky concept. On the other it's a WTF coming out of the portal(s) and every time wondering which way you're facing because there's no visual cues at all. I'm willing to give it a shot, but don't be surprised if it gets a ring of purple glass around the middle because I need to see which way is North. Another thought - maybe we put the Nether Wart farm at the bottom of the cube? I like that we have a farm close to center. Also, it absolutely has to be 21 blocks square. That way it doesn't fuck up the rings.

So it goes.