View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-25, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
what I don't understand is why we had to go back to 1.2.something. Is it that the mods aren't all compatible with 1.3?
Correct.

Quote:
Or is there a separate team working on 1.3/1.4 integration with the vanilla MC?
Tekkit is a suite of mods built by totally separate developers. The individual developers are working on updating their mods to MC 1.3.x. Some of the mods are ready now for 1.3.x (and have been for a while), but some of them still are not. When all of them are ready, Tekkit will be updated to use MC 1.3.x.

Quote:
Wooden-flavored slabs, for a simple example. Do all the mods need to be updated to make something like that happen, or is it dependent on one or two mods? Or does it have nothing to do with the mods? Not complaining mind you, just curious as to the why and what.
The problem with new official blocks from Mojang is that their internal IDs overlap with IDs that the mod developers have already selected to be used by their new blocks. So, either the MC block IDs need to be changed, or the mods need to be changed (and the world "fixed" at the same time to convert the mod blocks to their new IDs).

For example, the 1.3.x birch slabs use the same IDs as Tekkit's Equivalent Exchange mod's antimatter relay mk 2, IIRC. I saw this when I imported the old world to copy over a few structures like the tree arco and Turtle's house, and I had to explicitly convert or remove blocks that were mapped to something else. Something will have to be done to either rewrite MC's slab IDs (and any other new blocks) or convert old Tekkit blocks to their new IDs so the antimatter relays (and other blocks) don't suddenly vanish and get replaced with wooden slabs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.