View Single Post
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-04-30, 17:29

Dunno what to tell you. My MBP did the same thing once I installed the update; I used the 'fix' detailed on the Apple Discussions board to get rid of the noise - as far as I can tell, it works for its intended purpose, but you'll lose a significant amount of battery life in the process (due to disabling CPU stepping...I don't run my MBP on battery anyway, so this doesn't really affect me).

Quoted here (since the thread mentioned is bloody huge and takes forever to load on my (temporary) DSL connection) - do not try this if you're not comfortable with casually chucking a kernel extension into the Trash just to make your MBP run quieter (and a bit faster)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Discussions board post on how to stop The Whine
Just have a look at the first post and read it up to step one:

>Your dreams have come true. There is a cure for the whine >that requires no programs to run and persists between >reboots.

>It requires the editing of one file. Please attempt this >only if you understand what you are doing. I take no >responsibility for your actions.

>Here are the steps:

>1. Find the file: -> System -> Library -> Extensions -> IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

OK so far? You found the file? Well - then next comes step

2. Grab it and trash it! You will need the admin password to do so.

The next steps I can only guess what the english menus sound like, cause I'm using a german system:

In the folder Tools under Programs there should be something like a harddisk utility, where you select the volume your MacOSX sits on. Then there is a button way down the window that says something like repair Access rights. This is now step

3. Press this button and let the Mac do its work.

4. Reboot

5. Enjoy!

PS: Me either do not take any responsibility for what you are doing.
Yeah, I have absolutely no problem throwing away .kext files, seeing as I did quite a bit of it not too long ago.