View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-05-05, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Applebee's...

"food sux lol ... but i still want dessert ... omg the waiter is so cute!!!"

But being serious for a moment...why bother? This is just the latest "thing", IMO. In 6-9 months, nobody's going to give a rip. MySpace fell by the wayside (18-24 months ago, it was the thing to be in/on). Then Facebook seemed to be the hot thing to go to (and everyone did). And now I've heard the word "Twitter" more in two months than I have in 40 years. Which, to me, means "comes on too fast, can't sustain...isn't meant for the long haul because people are too trendy/fickle", and there's always something newer/cooler around the corner.

Let's meet back here in one year (Cinco de Mayo, 2010) and see where Twitter is. Folks will have moved on to the Hot New ThingĀ®, I'm 96% sure...CNN, Ellen, Oprah and all the rest will be on to something else entirely (and won't be saying "Twitter" every seventh word), and all their followers will go right along with them. Twitter will be like MySpace, a few folks remaining behind and wishing someone would visit them or give a damn about what they have to say.

Well, I hope it's not a sign of my Long and Inevitable Slide into technological cluelessness, but I kinda hope so. Seems like it a perfectly nice tool for things like keeping track of everybody who's meeting at the restaurant, etc., but here in Twitter HQ Bay Area, it's an almost unbearable exercise in self referential tech triumphalism.

So you get things like Birdhouse, which, wait for it, allows you to store and edit your random brief thoughts before publishing. But the digerati are droning on like it was the invention of the printing press. ("Just try it. It's life changing") Really?

And then all the tech philosopher kings/entrepreneurs start blogging about the great new Twitter tools that let you create new structures to organize your seminars about how super creative modern people can monetize their plan to use Twitter to create crowd sourced paradigms to publicize yet another iPhone Twitter app, and they do it in this egregiously, gag inducing "this is what it means to be fully alive and smart and making things" way, and you just have to figure the whole thing's entered some kind of seriously unsustainable decadent phase and the whole crew is shortly to take up scrimshaw, just to clear their palette.

OK, so I'm in the belly of the beast here and probably kinda excessively tweaked, so forgive the rant. But it would be seriously out of character for Apple to lunge at the flavor of the month, especially when it's reached its "Oprah likes it!" phase of tiresomeness.

Or, just for another example, I was looking at a mattress web site, and there was the inevitable "Follow Me!" button.

Man, I really have it in for Twitter, apparently. Probably because I'm such a cranky old fuck.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated