View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-02-23, 03:53

Honestly skip the 17-55mm f2.8, or any more DX glass if you are thinking of going FX in the next year or two. It's not worth it because you wont recover the cost. The D7000 is maybe a stop better than the D300, not two. I know the D3100 is half a stop better than the D300, and the D7000 isn't more than half a stop better than the D3100. If you want two stops better, go FX.

As for the 24-70mm f2.8, I have mixed feelings about that lens. I have done some test shooting with one on a D700 in a camera shop, and I'm just not sure about the range, not really wide enough on FX, and not long enough either. That being said, I loved the feel of the lens itself, the zoom and the focus ring are amazing to use compared to anything else I've shot with. If they weren't $1600+ I would likely go for one, but that is a big price tag for a focal range I just don't use often enough.

As for VR, it can be very useful, for still subjects. I've taken shoots at ISO3200 on my D3100 with the 18-55mm VR (which I actually really like) at 1/15 and got some great images as a result. Without VR I would not have been able to take those shots, since I had no tripod.