View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-24, 23:02

You gotta admit, the iPad 4 thing came out of nowhere. I thought, at most, it would simply get a Lightning connector so Apple can cleanly move the entire line of (new) iDevices over to this design in one month's time (which they handled really well; just a little over six weeks ago, we had no idea what in the hell a "Lightning" connector was...fast-forward to today, and now anything new and handheld from Apple is sporting it). Impressive.

The A6x and all the rest was unexpected. I don't know...if I bought an iPad 3 a few weeks ago, based on three years of history/patterns, I'd be a little "hmmm..." about it. But I'd like to think I wouldn't get all cranky and bent out of shape that I couldn't exchange it. I'd try to remember "this is tech...no guarantees, no promises. Stuff changes when it changes, hold on tight and roll with it " (or find another hobby or something else to spend your money on).

I do think the full-size iPad got this quicker, surprise update to throw it far enough ahead of the mini so that everyone wouldn't just completely abandon it for the new, smaller one. Think about it...had they just left the full-size iPad as-is, it would've been super-easy for many people to just say "the difference in performance isn't that much, and all I'm giving up is a Retina Display...". Now the full-size model is a bit more tempting, jumping ahead in performance/power, and it's not such a clear-cut, easy choice for many.

However, the day they put a current-generation processor/graphics (and Retina Display) into the mini, they may as well shut down the full size iPad department/factory.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-10-24 at 23:28.