View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-01-05, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderfan View Post
I was visiting my parents last week and my mom got me hooked. I still haven't seen Season 1, but I watched all of Seasons 2 and 3 with her, so I'm ready to start 4. I'm excited.
I haven't seen the DVD for season one at the library where I check these out, and if they didn't put it on video, I wonder why not? I can't remember what events might have occurred in that time period and it's kind of a torment trying to recall all those hours worth of material.

I heard in an interview that some of the actors chose to leave the series and go on to do something else for their careers (hence a death or two from the storyline). It's hard to imagine why they would leave, since Downton Abbey is apparently one of the most widely-viewed tv series of all time around the world. I wonder if the viewers are mostly women, of if the division percentage is anywhere near 50-50, men vs. women.

Have you seen interviews of the current real-life lord and lady of the estate that plays the part of Downton (Highclere Castle)? She was an accountant who came to stay as a guest for one of those weekend house parties, maybe a hunting party. She met the lord and the rest was like a fairy tale.

It costs a million dollars per year to run Highclere Castle, so with its new fame as Downton Abbey, it has attracted vast numbers of paying visitors who help keep the building maintained, with a new roof that prevents rain from ruining the castle's priceless antiques, carpets, furnishings and paintings.

Julian Fellowes, the screenwriter, also wrote the film Gosford Park. Did you ever see that movie? I guess he is a friend of the Herberts (the lord and lady), and wrote Downton Abbey with their castle in a starring role as the setting for his series. Must be nice to have friends like that, huh?