View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-03, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
We're all making a lot of assumptions, because while I have no idea what Apple plans to do with PCI, etc, you have no idea how many cores they can (or already have) scaled to.
Absolutely. It's perfectly possible that we'll see a 64-core Apple Silicon A14M9 or whatever.

I'm just seeing a lot of pie-in-the-sky expectations, and that seems like a recipe for disaster.

If they do make the next Mac Pro a different case design, I think that's really stupid, especially if it makes various things incompatible. They need to stop the foot-gunning with their pro hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
For anyone here who is a "pro", in that demanding market, what is Apple doing wrong - and right - in this segment?
I feel like that should be a thread of its own.

Quote:
That rumor about a new smaller version...is that an "in addition to" (for that $3,000-4,000 area) or an "oops, we kinda overdid it" replacement?
If it's an addition, that's fine. If they do indeed intend to replace it, they'll have pissed off (and burnt the trust) of even more pros, some of which won't come back. And for what?

Quote:
Speaking of "pro"-labeled desktops, how long is the iMac Pro going to sit, untouched? According to MacRumors.com buying guide, it's been 1,055 days (December 2017). Are there Intel offerings that could be in this since then (a 2018-2020 update of some sort, to someone current),
Yes.

That's an Intel Xeon W-2100. They could've bumped that to the 2200 in Q4 2019. (Alongside the Mac Pro, say. Or maybe a few months later, to avoid preempting Mac Pro sales.)

They clearly aren't interested in doing that. They have since bumped the regular iMac, which for many use cases is now a far better machine. (But, notably, the iMac Pro has much better cooling, and is available with many more cores.)

My guess is there won't be another iMac Pro. Instead, the ARM iMac will perhaps have a larger gamut of CPU choices, encompassing both former variants.

Quote:
We do indeed...and it's a raging mess. I can't figure out what in the hell is what, I can no longer confidently recommend/suggest what others should buy, some things don't even seem like they need to exist, etc.

I know it couldn't stay simple forever, but damn...it gets a little ridiculous sometimes.
Hm. I especially agree when it comes to around 2015-18, when there was the 12-inch MacBook (an Air-like), the 13-inch Air, the 13-inch Pro that isn't quite pro and that Phil said is kind of like an Air, the 13-inch Pro that is a Pro but not as Pro as the 15-inch, and the 15-inch Pro. That was dumb.

It's gotten a lot better since. Hopefully, they'll kill the not-quite-Pro low-end 13-inch. Likewise, they need to either get rid of that stupid low-cost iMac, or give it a different name. eMac, perhaps, like they used to.

But, generally speaking, right now, I think recommending either the Air or the 13-inch Pro (but only the one from $1799 upwards) is fine.