View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-01-09, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I kind of feel like you've moved the goalposts a fair amount away from "hey, why doesn't the Apple Store provide customers with loaners?" (which does annoy me — their support experience could be far better here) to "well, if the customer they've previously loaned something to is being targeted, and the Apple Store has an employee who's in on the conspiracy, and if you can read data of the chip that by the design has no API to read its raw data, then that would be risky".
How so? I simply stated there was a risk, and how someone could do it. I never set a goalpost in the first place. I never said, 'some guy in his moms basement could do it in an afternoon', did I?

To the original topic, how could Apple really manage this? They would have to set aside, possibly, hundreds of machines at each store to give people loaners. That's not even remotely practical, that's why nobody in the industry does it, if you don't count business class customers with some makers.

Quote:
Zero'ing data on an SSD is more likely to needlessly wear its cells than to bring a security benefit.
That depends on what type of flash memory Apple is using. Since they never advertise if they are using MLC (possible given the below average read/write speeds of Apple SSDs), TLC (most likely) or QLC (unlikely), how would we know what kind of impact it would have? Unless you write 20+GB of data a day to the drive, 365 days a year for years on end this is a non-issue for the average user even if you write zeros 3-4 times a year.