View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-20, 11:09

"Off-grid" is not what you think it is, especially if you want power at night. You'll need battery backup, enough wattage to power your entire home (very expensive) and enough back-up power to get you and your things through the night (including that MC server ). If you want enough power for all that, and able to run through the night, it's going to cost you $30,000+, and there are still problems that come up, including the need to replace those batteries every 10 years or so, and panels that will be worn out by the time you pay for it all.

I've been hunting and doing research for over 2 years, and have just about given up on "off grid solar power" as it makes almost no financial sense to do so, whereby when I say "almost no" I mean, "unless you're rich, it's a fool's errand", that is if you want hot water for daily showers, A/C, heat in the winter, power for all your computers, that printer that makes the lights dim, a cloths dryer, blah, blah, blah. Find out what makes the Mrs. happy and you'll quickly discover the wattage required to run those things is bananas!

I've been watching Will Prowse on Youtube, and he's as knowledgeable a character as I've found. He tests everything, discusses how to build your own battery systems, establish all the appropriate inverters, solar charge controllers, etc., etc., talks about costs and life expectancies, and overall confuses the hell out of me.

All I can so is open up your wallet and good luck!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)