View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-03, 15:26

The whole thing just isn't ready for primetime, yet, unless you have very deep pockets. As much as I want solar and a good battery backup, right now I'm content to let the gotta-have-it's absorb the initial bugs and high costs. I'm content to run a generator and use my camp trailer's batteries, solar, and inverter to provide backup power in a mid-term power outage. The trailer has a 3000w generator, two 100ah batteries, a 200w solar panel, and a 2000 watt inverter, which combined will easily keep up with a couple fridges and a freezer. For now, I can work with that.

My dream for solar converges on enough wattage to run the entire house during the day while also providing enough power to charge a battery system with an equivalent 24-hour minimum backup. That's pricey, and I haven't got that kind of cheddar floating freely. Until I do, staying connected to the grid with a small backup system is the way it's gonna be.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)