View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-08-04, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I can get a natural gas back-up generator with a transfer switch for $5,000 and have standby power for days...
Yeah, those Generac things seem cool. I don't want my whole house backed up though.

If things ever do get squirrelly and the whole city loses power for an extended period, I don't want my lights and big screen TV advertising that I'm the only one in the whole neighbourhood who's not freezing to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Our current contract includes the Span panel so we can shed loads as demand dictates. That tied with a battery system would serve to ensure our cold food storage, essentials and such are able to sustain for longer than average.
The Span panel seems really cool. I do worry about what could happen if hackers breach my electrical panel.

Quote:
We don't have outages that frequently where I live so I don't really need off grid like I originally planned.
Doesn't mean that will always be the case. Does the world seem to be getting better?

[This whole post is taking on a wonderfully dystopian aesthetic... ]

Quote:
For the batteries, I'm sure the company we chose uses Tesla because it is Tesla. I'm learning about so many different manufacturers out there with different products that produce the same end result but less polish and branding. The challenge with something like this is that most installers won't provide support for them at all meaning we would be on our own and I'm not that good of an electrician.
Lately I've been reading that solid-state home batteries are around the corner, and greatly reduce the risk of a housefire.

Also, I believe Panasonic has entered the home battery game, aiming to compete at a brand level with Tesla.