View Single Post
Anonymous Coward

2023-02-01, 19:02

I can neither confirm nor deny that 500 feet is anywhere near the test depth of a US submarine, or that US submarines have large range of test depths, depending on the class. However, having been associated with nuclear submarines for over 15 years (not including training or other things), I would not be immediately dismissive of the anecdote. Besides the test depth, it depends on the size and configuration of whatever the duct tape was covering, as well as the location (whether exposed to full pressure and for how long). Submarines are double hulled, so if it were on the outer hull, there could be no differential pressure at depth, which would mean that it is a good story, but would not be surprising. Or, if it were covering a 1/4" sensing line, would it be so unbelievable?

Anyway, if I had any more details, I would be in a better position to say, "Yes, it did happen", or "No way it could ever work", but I can say it was a widely spread anecdote.

Edit after last reply: One other thing: not just duct tape, but maybe duct tape with one or more layers of paint. But I will keep looking for documentation, but due to the classified environment (nuclear, sub-safe certification, and general Navy need to know stuff) I doubt if I will find anything.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward : 2023-02-01 at 19:45.