View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-13, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
Nice find. Glad those 10G SFP+ RJ45 cards aren't astronomical.

Brings up a question though. My setup at the moment has fiber -> modem-thing -> router. I found a SFP+ card with the same RX/TX frequencies and port style. Do you think it is possible to plug fiber directly to the UDM-pro?

(I'm still learning fiber networking)
Yeah, I've actually picked up off brand ones from Amazon for some connections and they have been just fine. The ones from Unifi have been solid and worth it if you're already placing an order with them. B&H also sells their gear but for me it has been easier to direct order from Unifi's store.

For plugging fiber directly into the DMP, that depends on the provider and what they are willing to allow. Verizon FiOS required their ONT but not router. I've heard AT&T's Uverse requires their device too. I've also read some of there other providers (Qwest I think, don't hold me to it) have allowed direct connections. Typically the provider wants their gear being the first connection so they can easily troubleshoot the connection to your property if there is any issue. If the connection to their device is good, it must be on your end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I'm still chomping at the bits to get mine setup. I have the DM SE sitting in a box in my mother in laws basement.
I wish I had the SE but it wasn't a thing when I bought my DMP. Not worth the upgrade for me now so I'll "slum" with the old OG DMP.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.