View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-27, 14:43

Home today with the TV on in the background, nothing in particular. I've noticed a lot of companies - Burger King, Dominos, various insurance, pharmacy and financial outfits, cable TV and cellular providers, automotive, etc. - have all created "virus spots" in recent days. In fact, on the last commercial break, three of the five commercials (I'm on Travel Channel) all had a "in these troubled times..."/"we're in this together, stay safe" angle to them, referencing/acknowledging current events.

Some are simply some on-screen text, stock imagery/footage and a voiceover (easy enough to throw together) but a few - Burger King and some others - have full-on on-screen talent/actors, wardrobe, sets, on-screen graphics, etc. talking specifically about what's going on. Full-tilt traditional 30-second spots.

Interesting/impressive how quickly these were conceived, written, cast, filmed, edited and now on air. Some of them can't be more than 4-5 days old. I saw none of them this time last week, so they're that new/fresh. You find yourself wondering how many people were on that shoot, for how many hours and how close were they to one another (you gotta have makeup artists making folks TV-presentable, after all).

And guess what? I'm already sick of hearing them.

On a related note, I saw two large billboards next to the freeway yesterday near downtown about this ("Do Your Part, Stay Apart", etc.). So folks are definitely working from home, knocking all this stuff out the past week. Marketing/advertising professionals never sleep!