View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-10, 21:04

Well, I tried, but the latest version of Tectonicus constantly blows up with a different unhelpful error at the very beginning of rendering, and I haven't been able to work past it despite experimenting with several different configs. I might file a bug for that one too.

For what it's worth, I decided to take another stab at trying other map rendering tools after giving up on Tectonicus.

current applenova "map" using papyri - papyri is super fast to generate and very lightweight because it simply loads all in-game maps to stitch together a "full" top-down view based on them. You can see from the output here how we have these huge gaps and low-res areas due to occasional Minecraft version updates breaking our in-game maps. Maybe this would be a good excuse to trash all our current maps and recreate fresh ones? I know 709 has mentioned this in-game at least once recently...

current applenova map using overviewer - Overviewer is an isometric projection renderer like Tectonicus, but it only does isometric and offers no top-down view. This is the same tool I mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's been updated for 1.16 and seems to be stable. I limited this render to just the "core" regions of our overworld so I wouldn't have to wait hours for it to finish the whole thing.

old applenova 1.14 map using unmined - I tried uNmINeD CLI which used to work well for me with Minecraft 1.14, but it crashed immediately after startup when I tried the latest version with our current world. uNmINeD is closed-source, hasn't been updated for months, and the author's blog isn't very forthcoming about details. I suspect it's buggy and incomplete. That map link is actually an old render I made last December with our 1.14 world.

I tried mcmap which is distributed as source only, no binaries. It blew up with compilation errors on macOS. It compiled fine on a local Arch Linux VM, but it also crashed immediately after startup. I suspect it's just buggy or incomplete.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.