View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-10, 13:25

I have less than 5,000 fonts to manage.

First impressions of RightFont:

I do not like the interface - it's far too spare - unusable for someone who needs to plow through a library to search for the right typeface.

It's finally crashing down on my how incredible a tool FontExplorer X Pro really is, and am wondering what led to its downfall?

To show how amazing FontExplorer X Pro really is, I currently have FOUR panes open.

From left to right:

1) Sidebar
This shows my libraries, including Fonts, System Fonts, Last Imported, Conflicts, Activation Controls, Application Sets, Font Requests, Activated Fonts, Sets, Cloud Fonts, Stores, and Classifications.

2) Font List
A scrollable list of fonts rendered in the style of the font, showing the font name.

3) Preview
This pane allows you to view a preview of the font using your preferred typeface in a waterfall of type sizes and fonts. It also allows you to find similar typefaces and fonts that pair with the primary that you've selected, employing something called the "discovery engine", an algorithm which works by scanning your existing font library/libraries - mine would take about 90 minutes to complete.

4) General Settings
This sidebar lets you select colors, transparencies, to control ligatures.

Buttons

A) I only discovered today that there's a Web Preview option, that allows you to integrate the app with designing websites using webfonts. Dammit.

B) Font detection

C) Plug-ins

D) Auto-Activation
Fonts are activated if a document is opened that requires fonts that are currently NOT open. I have had this for years now and love it. I think that RightFont does something similar but is it as powerful?

E) There is more, I just ran out of time.

This is a big loss for our community.

EDIT:
I just noticed that Monotype indicates that they are working on an "exciting" new product.
I signed up for the newsletter, let's see what happens.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter