View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-01, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So for those wondering, I'm looking at this dual core Xeon.

Sure it's only a dual, but the 3.3GHz on a single core is likely better that 2.33GHz on a quad for the pice. That is since MineCraft only uses one core right now. Down the line it seems like this would be a better fit anyway for the price and since Lenny is pretty much gonna stay and MC server for the foreseeable future. Would you agree that the higher clock rate would serve better than the quad core?
Good call. Minecraft would definitely benefit more from a faster clock versus more cores.

Tonight I've restarted the server with a few arguments to change some of the JVM's default behaviors. I'm also considering installing one of the prerelease Java 7 builds since Java 7 reportedly has significant performance optimizations over Java 6 in some core bits like string, array, and arithmetical operations.

I still wouldn't purchase the new CPU just yet. Let's give these options (and maybe Java 7) a try over the weekend first before dropping some cash.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.