View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-10-21, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Nah, Super Mario Kart was better... 2D FTW.
I'm probably stepping into a small holy war here (at least I'm not debating versions of Super Smash Bros, amirite?), but Super Mario Kart feels to me like a totally different game from its later generations. Super was certainly fun, but whenever I try to pick it up some twenty-plus years later, I'm frustrated by how the controls feel so loose and slippery compared to 64 and beyond. I feel the same way about the original F-Zero. I loved both of these originals on the SNES, but in hindsight it's clear that Nintendo was still in a very nascent stage of figuring out how to translate real-world physics into racing games.

I've finally been playing some Mario Kart 8 lately with coworkers (we have a Wii U in a rec room), and although it's very pretty, I feel like something about the level designs is too complex or they fly by too quickly to appreciate. Hard to put a finger on it exactly. Thankfully that horrible blue shell is a little bit less common than on Mario Kart Wii, at least. I look forward to Mario Kart Switch in another year or so.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.