View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-07, 13:18

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking about, but with Thanksgiving being just a couple weeks ago, I thought it would be historically relevant to share part of the post that marked the start of the free software movement... waaaaay back in 1983! This would lead to Linux a decade later and the incomprehensibly giant ecosystem of free and open-source software we have today.

Quote:
Free Unix!

Starting this Thanksgiving I am going to write a complete
Unix-compatible software system called GNU (for Gnu's Not Unix), and
give it away free to everyone who can use it. Contributions of time,
money, programs and equipment are greatly needed.

Why I Must Write GNU

I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
must share it with other people who like it. I cannot in good
conscience sign a nondisclosure agreement or a software license
agreement.

So that I can continue to use computers without violating my principles,
I have decided to put together a sufficient body of free software so that
I will be able to get along without any software that is not free.
People like myself and these other modders just love building software tools to solve problems (I do it all day at work, and then I do it even more when I get home!), even (or sometimes especially) if said tool's shelf life is dictated by circumstances beyond our control, and we all in some way subscribe to Stallman's "golden rule" manifesto about sharing our creations openly.

/sidebar

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.