View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-03-04, 23:49

Just scanning the movies/showtimes currently in place here in Chattanooga. Is it weird that the only thing I'd even remotely considering going to see is Cocaine Bear? Not sure if that says more about me or the state of movies these days. Perhaps a bit of both? No Ant-Man, no Whale or Creed 37 (I think those movies are pretty bad...they're not recreating the original Rocky "magic" with them, despite all their efforts to do so. Nope, just give me a rampaging, coked-up bear for my entertainment dollar! I'm actually in a real mood to see some sort of Western, maybe with Robert Duvall drawling, grizzled and acting all crotchety the way he does in so many of these things (Open Range, Lonesome Dove etc.). Throw in Billy Bob Thornton and let's just have an accent-fest while we're at it! Nothing I love more than hearing Southern accents on the big screen. Especially when I was living in SoCal for those 8-9 years and was so homesick...used to make me tear up/get all dewy-eyed hearing Tennessee/Georgia accents in a movie right in the middle of Orange or San Diego County. "I can't grow old and grey, and die, out here; these ain't my people. Hell, I can't stand most of 'em! California pricks..."

Moving back here in late 2002 was one of the best thing I've ever done for my happiness and mental grounding...realizing, and accepting, I just wasn't where I was supposed to be was powerful, and, within a month, I was driving back east, through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas - my fourth cross-country trip in about 5-6 years (enough that I was familiar with some of the signage, town names and roadside attractions/stops throughout the desert Southwest and West Texas so many billboards advertising "Indian blankets and moccasins" or "LIVE RATTLESNAKES!", NEXT EXIT!) and finally to all that grey, leafless winter gloom that is the Southeast in December. "Perhaps I should've waited until spring, when things are lush and green again?" "Man, maybe I should've thought this through just a bit more; my timing really sucks." I just remember it raining/drizzling, and not seeing the sun, for about 2-3 weeks straight after arriving back here. 'WTF?! Yes, I was miserable in California, but I had sunshine and dry weather! Frying pan, meet fire. Our situation has not improved..."

Geography matters. Your heart lives/belongs somewhere, IMO. Mine does. I'll never leave here again, except maybe to go be with my beautiful Canadian bunny I love on Vancouver Island some day, if she'll have me. Jury's still out on that one at the moment... *sniff*

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-03-05 at 00:12.