View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-04-01, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm sorry but I can't buy it. Yes he is accused of a crime, otherwise there wouldn't be an indictment from a grand jury*. We don't even know what for at this point because it is sealed.

The timing and pursuit is pretty clear what the motive is. It has nothing to do with the "victims" he is accused of wronging. It is either to attempt to remove him from being President again or otherwise end his political career.

The DA has plenty of other crimes that are WAY more pressing to NYC than Trump. Yet his focus is on a Trump.... right before an election season. Dare I suggest that if Trump didn't announce he was going to run again that the DA wouldn't have probed or pushed for an indictment?

* Assuming an actual impartial grand jury, which I do assume to be the case.
There is an assumption at the core of this stance, which I completely and utterly reject: There is a proper time for indictment for politicians. This *alone* says "they are special and above the law that the rest of us are beholden to". Which is, I'm sorry, utter crap.

The idea that certain people should be treated differently by the courts based on their private or professional lives *including* deciding *when* to charge, try, and jail them, is complete anathema to democracy and a just society.

You charge, try, and jail them at the soonest opportunity. Period. Large cases take time. Public cases take care.

When you have a portion of the population that is armed up and willing to start using them against fellow citizens over this shit, you take DAMNED care with it, but you do not let them hold the rest of us hostage to get their way.

I mean, you're absolutely right, I'd have loved it if this had happened last year, or the year before, or, or, or, but this is where we are. How long do you want them to just let it keep going?

What's your idea of 'the right time'?

And what, exactly, is 'election season'? We're nearly *two years* away from the next election. We *just* got past the midterms. What, is there a 2 or 3 month period in 2021 that was acceptable?

The whole premise is ludicrous, and based entirely on a foundation that there are individuals who should be treated differently by the judicial system solely on the basis of their 'specialness'.

And that is undemocratic, un-American, and unacceptable.