Thread: iPad 2
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-21, 13:15

Okay, camera, RAM, etc. stuff aside, there is something that I think would be a wonderful feature for the second iPad (or even the current one, via a software update): someone upthread even touched on it, and I was saying it months ago, before the iPad even hit the street:

The ability for the iPad to be a self-contained, self-registering/activating device.

And they'd have to provide an app to configure, set-up and maintain an AirPort network (because I think if you're buying an iPad for your first, and only, computer, you should be able to get an AirPort Express for $49).

Or, better yet, Apple could sell an even more stripped down wall-pluggable AirPort device for as cheap as possible, sans speaker jack and USB port (AirPort Plain...get it? )...just simply provide WiFi, and make it available (and targeted for) iPad buyers who don't already have a computer and home wireless setup. Plug it in, launch an iOS AirPort configuration app, enter some info and boom...you're off and running.

But, yes...an iPad that doesn't require another computer to get up and running. The iPad could/should be aimed at the very people who aren't likely to have a computer already in the house anyway, IMO...

So I'd like to see that happen down the road. I think that would prove to be a very popular decision.

The self-aware iPad.

"I'm my own device. I don't need your damn iMac to be useful...".