View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-18, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but it is more than a bit disingenuous to compare consumer electronics whose main purpose is entertainment to an assault riffle whose main purpose is killing another human being.

But, then again, turtle, I trust you simply like burning loads of cash on ammunition. I just hope that you trust those in your household and the people they invite over as much as you trust yourself.
Yeah, I understand your perspective. To me the rifle is a method of entertainment (sure it's there for protection too, but that's secondary to me at this point). Much like some like bowling, archery, or even a game of cards. Don't worry about the availability of the rifle to be misused in the house, it's not my personal defense weapon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Compensation for deep-rooted issues.
Shhhh....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Anyone who feels the need to post photos of their new assault rifle to an internet message board and then describe his encounter and purchase of it as if it were his new girlfriend is a little disturbing and provides at least a little reason to be concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
Not girlfriend, child ... obviously meant in humor.

And there is nothing disturbing about buying a rifle.
BU, what Fooboy said.

And why did I choose to share my new purchase here? Because this is my "internet family" and I know people here. I'm a member of at least one of the forums that Fooboy linked to for information gathering. I can tell you that most of the members I've seen aren't the deranged lunatics that people think gun owners are. Most (or at the least many) gun owners are normal people who find pleasure is the skill of shooting. Getting to the point where they can split a playing card, or other trick of accuracy. Sure there are nuts, most of them can't actually get a gun though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Okay, so it's okay to compare a gun to a girlfriend/baby/member of the family, it's okay to say that purchasing not only a gun, but a fucking assault rifle is like purchasing an iPod, but it's not okay to be critical about it.

This thread makes me sick. I'm actually shaking with rage.
You sir are the one mentioned in the last line of my original post. You may start the "guns suck" thread now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Seconded. I'm a progressive and a pacifist, but I know turtle well enough not to shoehorn him into a KILL-KILL-KILL, YEE-HAW stereotype. He's everything but.
Thanks chucker.

709, you're awesome!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.