View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-25, 09:45

Peacock is running The Undeclared War right now. I'm 3 episodes in.

It's a Channel 4 production about a future cyberwar between Russia and the UK (and her allies).

The most striking thing about the show is the mechanisms by which the Russian intelligence agency use social media to sow the seeds of discord against its enemies in the free world.

There's a great sequence where you see a conflict erupt between two opposing protest groups who happen to run into each other in a British neighborhood. They really go at it tooth and nail, with plenty of punching and clawing and stomping.

As it turns out, both protests were organized by the same Russian intelligence cell operating out of London - they set the time and the date to run the two mobs into each other and were there to film it happening so they could get online later to spread the news about the conflict in order to cause more disruption.

The way that they represent hackers figuring out code, by maneuvering through real life dream worlds of puzzles, is mildly annoying but I guess it's a good shorthand for non-programmers?

No spoilers please, I'm still in the middle of it!