View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-09-29, 02:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Hmmm. The upper-tier Mac Studio is USD$3,999. The Mac Pro starts at USD$5,999

Apple will essentially be charging $2K more for a faster chip and 8 PCI slots. I have no idea whether that is a good value.
I mean… a Mac Pro is only going to be interesting for the nichest of niches. The SoC, if it works as presumed, is just two or four Ultras. So, more RAM, more cores. Critically, one thing it likely won’t do is increase the clock. An M1 Ultra at a single core is only slightly faster than an M1 Noadjectives, and that’s mostly because of higher memory bandwidth. An M1 Extreme Quadzillionaire, likewise, will be the same speed per core. In other words, unless you benefit from a ton of RAM, a ton of GPU cores, or more than 20(!!) CPU cores, no, this SoC isn’t for you.

So to me, that leaves internal expansion.

The Ultra vs. Max alone is $1,400 more on the Studio (so, $4,000). So it stands to reason that two Ultras would cost about $2,800 more ($5,400). I guess they could offer the Mac Pro with an Ultra for $4,999, then with two Ultras (and other higher specs) for $6,999, then four for $8,999.