Thread: PS5 Reveal
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-23, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I've heard that before, most recently from people who said the Mac Pro could never abandon Xeon chips. Until they did today.
This!

Apple just told us that they want to have their transition complete in 2 years. That means the 28-core Xeon Mac Pro is going to be bested by Apple's immediate future plans—by which they mean 2022. That also means that the designs for that chip are already running in the lab because, well, they have to be!

Also, we cannot discount Apple's ability to leverage the custom cores outside of the CPU and GPU, such as their neural engine, the secure enclave, the T2, etc. All of those individual bits will give them a tremendous advantage in SOC real estate that they cannot take advantage of with Intel stuff. I'm no IC designer, but the demo they did demonstrates to me that Apple has their collective heads together on this.

Intel is not "in trouble" without Apple (there are still plenty of PC's and servers), but I suspect they are about to be left behind wondering what the hell just happened. And the PC nerds are about to go !

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-06-23 at 12:47.