View Single Post
Fooboy

2007-01-10, 21:59

This is how I see it.

Minimum wage jobs are fundamentally no skill jobs. So either you are a young worker (16 year old), you are older and have made no attempt to better yourself or learn anything, or the highly unlikely 3rd option, that you have NO OPPORTUNITIES your whole life to better yourself. This country is teeming with individuals who didn't give up and worked their way up without college degrees or rich daddies. So, I believe the 3rd option is very small.

Anyways, like I said, all this will do is cuase small businesses to fire a couple people to meet their bottom line, and make many things more expensive to buy ... thus increasing the cost of living for everyone - including the minimum wage earner.

Basically it boils down to this. Minimum wage is the baseline of the economy. Being frank, you are easily replaceable. You are a commidity. Raising this wage just raises everything. If you want to be successful in this country you need skills that seperate you from the pack in some way. This is going to backfire.