View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-12, 11:03

I periodically dig through the server logs and some things keep surprising me, especially how people get to AppleNova by way of Google searches.

For instance, almost three years after murbot's query What the HELL is a bad public movie atom? in the Genius Bar, visitors are still routinely finding their way here by searches for "bad public movie atom". It's a shame that the thread never got a straightforward answer, either, and that's why I just brought it back to life.

Also surprising but in a depressing way is that a number of folks regularly get to the Top 10 sad songs to listen to when you're sad with searches for "top 10 sad songs". Admittedly, that thread is probably more useful than the one about movie atoms.

Some poor souls got to AppleNova recently using the search strings "dumbest metaphor contest", "busted ear drum", "worst tattoo mistakes", and "yankee doodle fart sounds".

Only half of our visitors enter AppleNova from external links and most of them don't do much once they've arrived. The "board" link on ThinkSecret still drives about half of those. Most of the rest are from Google.

It's not much to discuss, but I thought these tidbits where interesting enough to warrant sharing.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.