View Single Post
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-08-02, 23:18

Da bump!

I've recently completed two projects, one was a pair of speakers and the other was a bed-stand thing.

First the bed stand. I basically just hacked a couple of ideas together and did some improvising and revising, but it turned out very nice... and very heavy! I built it in two sections, the headboard and the big double thick board. All MDF, so it is straight and smooth but heavy. Finished in ultra-flat black. Now I need to get some cool lamps for both sides, but otherwise yeah, I'm set!

And a close-up showing the very smooth finish of the two top pieces:

Rock solid, and shares the same steel legs as the rest of the furniture in the room that I've built.

----

Now the speakers are pretty cool as well. They are a kit design from GR Research, the AV-3, with a few upgrades. My grandpa and I built the cabinets, and I finished them. The top section is gloss black with tons of lacquer, polished automotive style, and the lower section is wrapped in high-grade stainless steel. The bases are flat black with silver spikes.

They sound awesome (naturally, they have very high-end components, and the MSRP is around $1400/pair, so the kit at $350-ish could be considered a steal.

Now I'll just have to think up a new project, maybe some shelving?