View Single Post
zsummers
Avast!

2007-09-29, 01:46

WLP--great info on the painting. You are a patient and talented individual. I can't wait to give it a shot.

I've had a lot of arts and crafts projects lately--I've moved into a new apartment (with a new (and first) wife!). I was frustrated by the lack of space for an office, even before we moved in. Because there are so many big windows (which I love), there really wasn't a spot for an office or desk that wouldn't block a window or just be plain awkward.

So I made myself a closet office in our biggest closet (which is about 5'3" x 2'6"). It was just a big, completely barren space before I started:

I had to cut my desk down to size (it lost about 4 inches of width, but was exactly the right length). And the bookshelves are pretty simple to put in once you get the measurements down. Still, I'm pretty happy with myself. The door to the closet closes perfectly when you push the chair in, and the whole thing is wired with a printer and my iMac, but in a way that will make it easy to use my MBP and old typewriter in it too. I can get to everything I need, plus I have some sweet knick-knacks that would never have made the cut in the apartment's general scheme. In general, I'll be able to do most all of my work there, without having the unsightly (and stressful) mess of my job (which I start Monday) showing all the time. Pics below...

The whole deal:

The bookshelves go up pretty high:

Dude, where's my office?:

I've also had a neat project converting a clothes wardrobe into a cabinet for pots and pans / wine & liquor. But I want updates on any chain-mail or nerf projects, as well as some of the other unfinished ones first.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."