Thread: E3 2011
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-03, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Robo I've been meaning to ask you this: is the next Nintendo system going to have decent graphics/HD video/a controller I work with my thumbs and not my wrists? I just want my Mario and Zelda games as, ya know, normal video games and I'm sick of this Wii bullshit. Kids. Lawn. Off. That kind of thing.
My best guess is this:

The new controller will be a very low-end (low-res, resistive) game tablet. Everybody making mockups of like a Gamecube controller with a little touchscreen in the middle are way off, in scale if nothing else; the size of the screen will necessitate a flatter, squarer controller (think something that "matches" the current Wii Remote). It will have a d-pad on one side and ABXY buttons on the other, but probably no analog sticks. This "Wii Pad" will be both a controller for the Wii and a stand-alone device that will play games exclusively from Nintendo's eShop. It will form the lowest-end prong of Nintendo's hardware portfolio. The Wii 2 will come with one, and additional Wii Pads will probably cost about $129, making them much cheaper than the 3DS or NGP.

I say "new controller" because I think the Wii 2 will still use the Wii Remote for some games, especially multiplayer-focused titles, where requiring players to own four Wii Pads would be prohibitively expensive. Current Wii Remotes will work, as long as they're Wii Remote Plus models or have a MotionPlus attachment, which will become standard for Wii 2 games.

Basically, the Wii Pad will be a new attention-getting feature to keep the Wii 2 from being "just" as Wii HD, since apparently every Nintendo console has to have a revolutionary controller now; also, it will (as a stand-alone device) help them in the fight against Apple in mobile gaming. It will be a new control option, sort of like the Balance Board was, although it should be supported by many more games.

The Wii 2 will be HD, though. It won't use blue-laser discs, and it probably still won't play DVDs, but it'll have Netflix and maybe a video store.

Pricing won't be announced at E3, but I don't believe the rumors that the Wii 2 will cost $400+ or whatever. It will probably be ~$299 upon launch next year.

Just my guesses. I'll probably look totally wrong on Tuesday, but hey

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong